The Astrobiology center (ABC) is promoting an interdisciplinary study in research fields of astronomy, planetary science and biology to explore “life in the universe”.
The ABC accepts graduate students in either the master’s or doctoral course of SOKENDAI or the University of Tokyo (see the below). Please contact us if you would like to study at ABC.
We all welcome students who are interested in theoretical studies on the origin and evolution of exoplanets, exoplanet characterization, and developing next-generation instruments for exoplanet observations.
The contact address (E-mail): abc-pub [at mark] abc-nins.jp
(Please change “[at mark]” to “@”)
- Exoplanet surveys, Exoplanetary atmospheres, Planet formation, Star formation
- Observing protoplanetary disks, Brown dwarfs, Interstellar medium
- Search for biosignatures, Photosynthesis on a planet around different stars
- Development of new instruments for exoplanetary sciences and astrobiology (e.g. Subaru Telescope: a high-dispersion, near-infrared spectrograph (IRD), SCExAO (extreme AO + Coronagraph), integral field spectrograph (IFS: CHARIS), small‐aperture telescopes: multi-color simultaneous camera)
SOKENDAI has a “Winter School” for undergraduate and graduate students in domestic and overseas universities every year.
SOKENDAI Asia Winter School
Before preparing your application, please contact ABC staffs. Please send us email (abc-pub [at mark] abc-nins.jp) if you are interested in our graduate program.
1Department of Astronomical Science, The Graduate University for Advanced Studies, SOKENDAIhttps://guas-astronomy.jp/eng/index.html
- LocationNational Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ)
- SupervisorDr. Kotani, Takayuki; Dr. Hashimoto, Jun; Dr. Hori, Yasunori
- How to Applyhttps://guas-astronomy.jp/eng/index.html
2Department of Basic Biology, School of Life Science, SOKENDAI
(he Graduate University for Advanced Studies) https://www.nibb.ac.jp/en/univ/
- LocationNational Institute for Basic Biology (NIBB) at Okazaki, Aichi
- SupervisorDr. Takizawa, Kengi; Dr. Jozuka, Katsuki; Dr. Fujita, Hironori
- How to Applyhttps://www.nibb.ac.jp/en/univ/examination/univ_apply.html
The SOKENDAI holds a “SOKENDAI ASIA Winter School” for undergraduate/graduate students and young researchers every year.